We were super excited to bag BBC MUA Jenna Hacking for our latest photoshoot! With her celebrity experience we saw the perfect opportunity to pick her brains about one of our favourite past-times: make-up! In between creating model Rachel’s amazing looks, Jenna answered our all-important make-up questions, revealed her holy grail products and spilled the secret to looking fabulous in just ten minutes…
1. Who would be your dream client and why?
Ooh there are so many people who’s make-up I would love to do. It would have to be Kate Middleton. She is so classy, a style icon and fab role model for young women.
2. What are your make-up bag essentials?
I change my kit quite regularly but at the moment I am loving Illamasqua’s ‘Skin Base Foundation’, they have a full range of colours from the deepest browns up to the whitest white.
3. What are your tips for making a bright lip stay flawless all day?
There are many ways to do this but my advice to people who are on the go would be to buy a product called ‘Lip Tar’ by Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics. It’s great for topping up throughout the day and the colours are really vivid!
If you want to use your own products, line and fill the lips with a pencil in your chosen colour. Then apply the lip colour, hold a thin piece of tissue over the lips, gently press loose powder onto the lips over the tissue and then reapply the lip colour. This will build up the colour and give it more staying power.
4. What kind of products do you use for a natural make-up look?
I use many different brands but I love the Urban Decay ‘Naked’ palettes.
5. What is your absolute holy grail product?
The Kryolan ‘Shimmering Event Foundations’ are an absolute must for my kit.
6. Contouring seems to be a huge beauty trend at the moment, is there an easy way to do it yourself?
A lot of people get contouring wrong, they instantly go for a really pale colour to highlight and the darkest colour for the contours. This is a total drag!! It is much better to use a shade lighter than your natural skin tone and a shade darker for the contours- you don’t want to look false!
7. What are your favourite products to use to conceal blemishes and eye circles?
I love Illamasqua concealers especially ‘White Light’ for the inner corners of the eyes. It’s light reflecting qualities give the eyes that extra pop.
8. You’ve overslept and have 10 minutes to get ready- how do you do you make yourself look fabulous?!
If I’m in a rush I just make sure I conceal under my eyes and any blemishes. I may powder or add a little bronzer but the most important things are to define my eyebrows, add a smoky liner to my bottom eye lids and apply mascara to my upper and lower lashes.
9. How do you achieve the all-important perfect brow?
I always use a fine angled brush and draw in the bottom line first brushing upwards, then I highlight the top outer edge of the brows.
10. Which make-up artists inspire you?
All make-up and make-up artists inspire me. The list is endless and I recently had the honour of training with Lan Nguyen and Sandra Cooke who are make-up idols of mine!
11. How can you improve the staying power of make-up throughout the day?
It is important to find the correct primer for your skin type to help your make-up stay put. There are so many out there; Mac ‘Prep and Prime’, Laura Mercier and Smashbox are all great choices.
12. What are going to be the big beauty trends of AW14?
I think red lips are going to be back with a vengeance this Autumn!
Check out Jenna’s Twitter and Instagram to see more of her work.
Photography by Sophie Traynor, check out her Facebook.